CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

19 May 2009

Memorial Day and what it means to me

So here is the wikipedia description of the upcoming holiday:
Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (on May 25 in 2009). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the civil war), it was expanded after World War I to include American casualties of any war or military action.

That is a wonderful holiday for a great reason but it just makes me think of my grandmother. Her birthday was May 27 and so Memorial day was usually the time we'd say happy birthday to her. Now she's gone and it makes me miss her. I lived with her for years and while slightly crazy and insanely manipulative she knew how to make someone feel loved (and then like running away). Many times over the years she drove me completely bonkers but if I needed anything I could count on her. I miss her a lot. Memorial Day to me will always remind me of how much I miss her.

0 comments: