CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

ticker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

03 June 2009

Fibromyalgia

I suffer from a condition called fibromyalgia.

Taken from wikipedia this is part of an article about fibromyalgia:
Fibromyalgia meaning muscle and connective tissue pain is a disorder classified by the presence of chronic widespread pain and a heightened and painful response to gentle touch. Other core features of the disorder include debilitating fatigue, sleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. In addition, persons affected by the disorder frequently experience a range of other symptoms that involve multiple body systems, including difficulty with swallowing, functional bowel and bladder abnormalities, difficulty breathing, diffuse sensations of numbness and tingling, abnormal motor activity and cognitive dysfunction. An increased prevalence of affective and anxiety-related symptoms is also well known. While the criteria for such an entity have not yet been thoroughly developed, the recognition that fibromyalgia involves more than just pain has led to the frequent use of the term "fibromyalgia syndrome." Not all affected persons experience all the symptoms associated with the greater syndrome.
I do not have all of these issues. I do have the pain and touch issues as well as sleep problems and cognitive impairment as I frequently forget things. Most people call this 'fibro fog.'

I was diagnosed in April 2007 and in that time I've functioned with it. My doctor felt I was too young to be put on pain medicaiton and instead put me on an antidepressant, which I did not need, to help me sleep. That medication was of no use to me and I was later put on another medication which I couldn't even take as it left me so tired for days on end. I am now on a muscle relaxer that does nothing either but as I'm losing weight my flares become manageable. I have read there is a link between vitamin D deficiency and fibromyalgia and I am now taking a supplement so maybe it will help stop my flares.

None of that will help me now as I believe I am in the midst of one. Lately I've been having a lot of pain between my shoulder blades but last night it woke me several times and I finally had to move to the couch so I could lay flat. I cannot turn my head very well to the right. I can only turn it about an inch before the muscle becomes tight and painful. The worst part is that this all will set me back as I cannot exercise safely when in this type of condition as my pain starts to radiate to other parts by the end of the day. Even driving becomes an issue with my neck in such a condition.

0 comments: